The Tri-County Obituary Project

Huerfano County, Pueblo County, and Las Animas County, Colorado.

The Tri-County Obituary Project Coordinator is Louise Adams .
This page contributed by Karen Mitchell.

NOTE: Please use your BACK button to return to where you were.


Rasco, Gladys M.
Gladys M. Rasco - Pueblo Chieftain - August 11, 2003 - Gladys M. Rasco, 85, passed away Aug. 9, 2003. Survived by her brother, Howard (Helen) Smith of Rocky Ford; also survived by numerous nieces and nephews. Graveside service, 10 a.m. Tuesday, at Imperial Memorial Gardens.

Rascone, Luis
Luis Rascone - Colorado Weekly Chieftain - January 30, 1879 - Yesterday the body of Luis Rascone, the victim of the murderer Nunez, now in jail under sentence of death, was brought into this city and will be buried this morning. The funeral services will take place at 9 o'clock at the Catholic Church. The friends of the murdered man and all others are invited to be present. Luis Rascone - Pueblo Colorado Chieftain - March 20, 1879 – Nunez – Hanged for the Murder of Luis Rascone – First Judicial Hanging in Pueblo County – Prisoner Refused to Confess His Crime – Some Account of One of the Most Brutal Murders in the History of Colorado – Large Gathering of Men, Women and Children – Everything Managed Decently and in Order – The first judicial execution which ever took place in Pueblo county occurred on Friday afternoon, the subject being Victor Nunez, a Mexican, who was tried at the December term of the district court for the murder of Luis Rascone, also a Mexican. Luis Rascone was a man of some property, and for whose wife Nunez entertained an unlawful passion. To obtain the woman and Rascone's property Nunez murdered Rascone, under circumstances brutal and revolting in the extreme. The Murder – The circumstances of the murder, as related by the wife of the murdered man, his aunt and a little Indian girl, who was in the house at the time, are of the most revolting character. In her testimony before the coroner's jury Rascone's wife made the following statement: “I was married fifteen years ago to Luis Rascone. That is his body and it has the same clothing on in which he was murdered. I and my husband were in Pueblo and Victor Nunez complained of being a little sick and asked my husband to let him have a horse to come out to our house. The next day when we came home my husband sent him a horse to come out with my son Francisco. Victor Nunez came to our house about supper time and told us that he had left my son at a ball in Pueblo. He brought a lot of whisky along and asked my husband to take some whisky, and my husband said – 'I would not drink whisky except with my friends.' Then Victor Nunez told my husband to come outside and I thought they were going to talk about the Bartels security. Going out Victor Nunez told the child and woman not to come out and shut the door. Leonora, the other woman present, asked me what was going on and ran out of doors and took the little girl along and I followed. When I got out where my old man was I saw him lying on the ground and Victor Nunez sitting on his breast cutting his throat with a knife with a black handle. I was scared to death, hardly knowing what I was doing, and pulled Victor away, and in so doing his hand was cut. I found out his hand was cut after going into the room. Victor Nunez came after a while and asked for a pick and shovel, and I was very much scared and then told him where they were. Victor Nunez slept in the house that night. He buried Luis Rascone that night in the corral.” Finding the Corpse – The body was afterwards removed from the corral, the murderer fearing it might be discovered if left there, and buried in the earthen floor of the house. The building, which was a jacel with a mud roof, was then thrown down upon the grave and the wood hauled to town and sold for fuel. At the inquest the woman showed the coroner where to dig and the body of Rascone, dressed as he was when murdered was soon found. The head fell from the body when it was exhumed and the woolen shirt worn by the deceased was stiff with dried blood. Discovery and Flight – It was supposed that when Rascone disappeared, that he had left the country to avoid punishment upon a charge of cattle stealing, which had been made against him. Nunez took possession of the dead man's wife and property, brought them to Pueblo, remained her all winter, and in the spring departed for Georgetown. Nobody at that time seemed to have any suspicion that Rascone had been murdered, but somehow or other, “murder will out.” The little Indian girl above mentioned was left at the residence of Mr. John Irvine, on the Fontaine, and when Nunez and the woman had departed, she told the story of the murder. Nunez was notified by a relative of his here that the authorities were after him, and he fled and was captured, only after a great deal of trouble. Rascone was one of the better class of Mexicans and was possessed of cattle, wagons, horses, etc. The Trial – On the trial of Nunez some rank perjury was indulged in by one of his Mexican friends, who swore that Nunez was sick in his house from the third to the sixteenth of the month, when the murder was committed, when it was distinctly proved by a reputable witness that Nunez was at work for the latter during several days of that time. After a patient hearing, during which the prisoner was defended by excellent counsel, he was found guilty of murder in the first degree. The Sentence – On Thursday afternoon, January 2d, Nunez was brought into court. The prisoner was escorted into court by Under Sheriff Smythe and Deputy Sheriffs Studzinski and Craig. Nunez did not appear to be at all concerned. Judge Henry directed Nunez to stand up. The Court – Do you understand English? Prisoner – I understand only a few words. C – Is Victor Nunez your correct name? P – It is. C – What is your age? P – Fifty-seven years. C – Where were you born? P – In Old Mexico. C – How long have you been in Colorado? P – Nine years. Deputy Sheriff Studzinski then interpreted. C – How long did you know Luis Rascone? P – I knew him six years by seeing him. C – You have been found guilty by the jury in your case of premeditated murder. If you have anything to say proceed. P – I have nothing to say. C – Do you understand the penalty attached to the crime of which you have been convicted? P – I do not know but will receive any sentence that you may impose upon me. C – The statute provides that you shall hang by your neck until you are dead. If you have anything to say you can speak. P – I would rather wait until the time comes and say it then. I know everybody has to die. Life is like a candle that is lighted, any one can blow it out. All that the witnesses swore to was false. All that hurt me is that I have no money and no influence. I will die like a man because I know that I die wrongfully. I know the witnesses swore falsely. I can swear before God in heaven that the witnesses swore falsely. I can't get out because I have no influence and no money. C – I cannot say whether the witnesses swore falsely or not. P – I have a man here who knows I am not a murderer. I am a working-man. C – You had a man here who swore that you were sick in his house from the third to the sixteenth of the month in which the murder was committed, and a short time afterwards, Mr. Thomas testified that you were at work for him a part of that time. P – When the man was on the stand he was frightened and made a mistake in the time. The indictment charges me with having committed this murder on the tenth of the month. I bring God to witness that I was sick in the house on that day. I will die with the hope that God will help the jury and the witnesses who swore against me. C – I hope you are not guilty of the crime charged. I am in hopes that you may not have to appear before your maker with this stain upon your hands. P – I am going to die clear and ask and want no pardon. I will come to the feet of God who knows all things. I have nothing more to say now, but would like time before my death to make some remarks in public. I would like to see my friends, children and other relatives to tell them something. C – The sheriff will allow your family to visit you. The judge then proceeded to pronounce the death sentence upon Nunez as follows: But one alternative is left for me. It is a hard matter for me to perform the duty which I am now obliged to do. It seems that I have been particularly unfortunate in my present position in having this duty to perform in so many cases. (P – I have no fault to find with you.) Since I have occupied the position of district judge I have been required to pronounce the death sentence five times. It is a trying duty but I must perform it. (P – I know well that men in your position must do their duty.) The sentence of the court is that you be taken from the bar of the court to the county jail from whence you came, by the sheriff of the county, there to remain in confinement until Friday, the 24th of January, and from thence be taken by the sheriff of the county between the hours of one o'clock in the afternoon and three o'clock of that day to some convenient place to be prepared by the sheriff, there to be hanged by the neck by the sheriff until you are dead, and may the Lord have mercy on your soul. During the whole of his conversation with the judge and even when the sentence of death was pronounced upon him Nunez showed no agitation whatever. His face retained its chronic frown and his voice never trembled. Judge Henry was visibly affected. Nunez has pure Spanish features, and seems to have more intelligence than the average Mexican. A Reprieve – Through the efforts of George Q. Richmond, Esq., the prisoner's attorney, Gov. Pitkin granted him a reprieve until March 14th, his attorney thinking that some additional evidence could be produced in the prisoner's favor. Mr. Richmond also made vigorous efforts to have the prisoner's sentence commuted to imprisonment for life, but the case was such an exceedingly rascally one that the governor refused to interfere further. The Gallows – The gallows was erected in a small basin in the hills and short distance north of the city, near the cemetery, and consisted of a platform about sixteen feet square, surrounded by a railing and two posts, with a cross-beam rising from the south end of the platform to a height of about twelve feet. Directly under the beam was the drop, about five feet square, so arranged that it could be made to fall by a gentle pull on a small rope at the rear of the platform. To prevent the swinging of the drop after falling, a weight was attached thereto by a rope. The gallows was constructed by Messrs. Winneka and Merrill, of this city, and worked in a manner highly satisfactory. Previous to its being used Sheriff Price carefully tested it with a weight far greater than that of the prisoner, and it was found to be in excellent working order. The rope used was manufactured of unbleached hemp, half an inch thick, and was made for the purpose in St. Louis. It did not yield in the slightest degree when the weight of the prisoner was placed upon it. The gallows was surrounded by a rope stretched at a distance of some sixty feet from the structure, inside of which the guards were stationed, armed with double barreled shot guns and revolvers. The Execution – During the entire morning people from all parts of the country flocked into the city, and by the time announced for the execution a crowd of some twelve or fifteen hundred people surrounded the gallows. Among them we were astonished and pained to see so many females and a horde of children, from five years old upward. The morbid curiosity that prompts such desires ought not to be gratified and we hope that the next execution that occurs in Pueblo will be a private one. At half past seven in the morning the deceased partook of the sacrament of the Lord's Supper, administered by Father Montanralli, in the presence of the prisoner's relatives and C. Q. Richmond, Esq., and lady. At 1:15 P.M. Nunez was brought from the jail and placed in an express wagon, and surrounded by armed guards was conveyed to the gallows. At 1:30 the party arrived on the ground, and Nunez ascended the gallows attended by Father Montanralli, Sheriff Price and Deputy Sheriffs Smythe and Craig. His legs were shackled and he was seated upon a box upon the trap while his legs and arms were being pinioned and the shackles removed. The death warrant and reprieve were then read to him by Sheriff Price and translated into Spanish by Mr. A. P. Berry. The prisoner was accompanied upon the platform by his brother Henry Nunez and his son-in-law Jose Sanchez. He trembled considerably at first but after a little while recovered his composure and the only appearance of agitation was a slight quiver in his voice while he was making a rambling statement in Spanish which was translated into English for the benefit of the crowd. The prisoner then knelt while a prayer was offered by his spiritual advisor. At 2:08 Sheriff Price placed the noose around the prisoner's neck and adjusted the black cap. Another prayer was offered and at 2:11 Sheriff Price sprung the trap and Victor Nunez was launched into eternity. The prisoner died without a struggle, his neck having apparently been broken at once in accordance with his frequently expressed desire. When the drop fell a number of Mexican women who were standing near the gallows gave a loud wail very much as the Indians mourn for their dead. Drs. Thombs, Ashcom and Craven were posted below the platform and gave the following report of the action of Nunez' pulse: First minute – 44, second – 78, third – 85, fourth – 70, fifth – 56, and then death. At 2:20 the corpse was cut down by Deputy Sheriff Smythe, the physicians having pronounced Nunez dead. The body was placed in a plain coffin and delivered to his relatives. The features of the deceased were not much distorted. Nunez's Statements – The deceased made several statements previous to his death all of which deny his guilt. The evidence adduced at the trial, however, is so conclusive that no possible doubt can exist as to his having murdered Rascone. The following statement was given to Sheriff Price: In the year 1877 I engaged to work for J. J. Thomas on his ranch. One day going down the Greenhorn river with Mr. Thomas' stock I went to Rascone's house. I remained there some time. When I started to go away, they asked me to come again and make them a long visit. One Sunday after this I called at the house and had a long conversation and after that Rascone's son came to me and asked me to loan them what money I could as they were in trouble and Rascone was indicted. I asked money of Mr. Thomas. He gave me an order for $15. I afterwards went to the house and asked if the $15 would be of any use to them. He answered yes, I am as grateful for that as I would be if it was $50. They then told me to bring my clothes and they would wash them. Finally Rascone's son came for the clothes and at this time remarked that his father needed me very much. I went to see what they wanted. He said he wanted to go to freighting and desired my son to work for him, saying he would take care of him as well as if he remained with me. I sent my son to him. Afterwards I went to the place where they were at work. Rascone then said to me I am going to the San Juan to get a man to assist me in my business. In the meantime I want you to come and look after the boys. He went and on his return said he had had bad luck. They had taken his horse from him. He told me all his adventures. I remained a good while with him on this occasion. I didn't see him again until I went to Pueblo to the election to work for Mr. Thomas who was running for sheriff. Then I went to him to get my son to go to Thomas' to take my place while I was at Pueblo. I came to Pueblo and worked zealously for Thomas, using strong arguments in his favor. My son remained with Thomas nineteen days at the round up while I was in Pueblo. Thomas, when he testified, could not tell how many days I was absent from his ranch. When in Pueblo, Rascone's son came to town to sell some cheese and at that time told me that his father had gone to Culebra and asked me when I was going to return to the Greenhorn. I replied as soon as I recovered from my sickness. Two days after this, the boy came to town again and we returned together to Louis Rascone's house. Rascone's wife then told me that her husband had gone to Culebra and that they wanted my son, as the stock was damaging the corn, and that I had better come and harvest the grain as the stock was damaging it, and that her husband would not be back and had been absent nearly a month then. By reason of this request from her I gave up my place at Thomas' and commenced to harvest the grain on Rascone's land. After the harvesting was over, in accordance with an understanding, we all came to Pueblo, she promising if I would live with her she would be as a wife to me, and said she had no hopes of her husband. She wrote to her brother to find out what detained her husband, and received an answer saying that her husband had not been seen. I had no reason to doubt her, and not doubting her, I had no hesitation in living with her. One day while in the hills cutting wood Rascone's son came and told me Bartels had attached the stock. I went to see Bartels and agreed with him to have the stock turned over to me and I would pay him forty-two dollars. He said he was not in a hurry for the money until the time came. A friend wished me to go to Fall River, saying it was a good place to work; the woman said she would go too. We went and I commenced to cut wood. One day I came to the house, found this woman in conversation with the man. His conversation did not appear good and I left, so that they might finish their contract. About this time Mr. Price came to claim $110. I did not have the money so I left the place to keep out of the calaboose. Had I taken a part in this murder I never would have been seen in this part of the country. I write this in the same spirit I would had I laid hands on this man. It does me the same good, for where I go all will have to go. – Victor Nunez. After all I feel a great satisfaction in being able to embrace the opportunity of reconciliating my soul, and that I have not been deprived of God's mercy. I hope by my sincere repentance that I will be pardoned. I ask of my God that all persons who have been in opposition to me may be pardoned, for by me they are pardoned. The following statement was made to his counsel: The first and last statement of Victor Nunez to his counsel, G. Q. Richmond, made March 10th, 1879, after being informed that he had nothing to hope from the executive of the state: Question – Did you kill Louis Rascone? Answer – I never put my hands on him. Q – Did you at any time use a knife on the throat of Louis Rascone? A – I never used a knife on him. Q – Did you ever use any instrument on Louis Rascone which caused his death? A – No sir; I never used anything on him. Q – Were you in any way directly or indirectly, connected with the death of Louis Rascone? A – No, sir. Q – Did you know of the death of Louis Rascone on the 4th day of October, 1877? A – No sir; I never knew it. Q – Are you innocent of this crime? A – I am, and this will be my statement on the last day, last hour and last moment of my life. Q – Do you know who killed Louis Rascone? A – No sir; I do not. Q – Have you anything further to state now? A – No; except I think you have done all you could do for me. My time has come to die, and I shall die like a man. My race will never have reason to blush for me, by reason of any act of cowardice on my part. Another Statement – Statement of Victor Nunez, to be made public by his request on the day of execution by his counsel: “In the name of God Almighty I confess publicly the truth, that I am entirely innocent of the crime with which I am charged. My only consolation at this moment is that as Jesus Christ, the son of God, being the innocence itself, was falsely accused, ignominiously betrayed, scourged and condemned before the tribunals of this world in quite a similar manner as I have been accused, confined to jail and finally condemned to death for a crime of which I am innocent. This very moment, I, Victor Nunez, before the presence of God Almighty, the first judge, I feel as a good Christian very thankful to Divine Providence for having permitted and granted to me such a punishment and a death to expiate in a solemn manner all the sins of my past life. Thank God that my spiritual father did all he could to save my soul, and my attorney did all he could to save my life. God will reward them and I hope they will pray for me after my death. I declare also that I give full pardon to all who did directly or indirectly contribute to my death. I pardon them, as I wish with all my heart Almighty God will give me full pardon for all my sins. I am in perfect conformity with the holy will of God and hope that my soul shall enjoy eternal peace after this moment of death, and I pray good and honest people will offer their prayers to Almighty God for the eternal welfare of my soul. And now finally good bye to all my friends and all my acquaintance until we shall meet all together to find the justice before the tribunal of Almighty God. – Victor Nunez. Rumors of Rescue – On Friday morning Sheriff Price received a telegram from Missouri, from Sheriff Starr, who took Boone, the horsethief, back to that state from Pueblo a few days since, stating that Boone had informed him that during his stay in the Pueblo county jail he had learned that a plot was organized among the Mexicans here to rescue the prisoner on the night before the day appointed for the execution. The sheriff also learned from other sources that something was going on among the Mexicans in their haunts on the outskirts of the city. A strong guard was accordingly organized and armed with double barreled shot guns. A number of the guards were stationed in the court house, while a few were placed inside the jail. Every arrangement was made to give the rescuing party a warm reception, but the long hours of the night passed away without anything occurring to alarm the vigilant guard. The plotters for some reason abandoned their scheme, having discovered possibly that shot guns are not healthy things to contend with. Remarks – Sheriff Price is worthy of all credit for the excellent manner in which every detail of the execution was carried out. His arrangements were all perfect, and with the aid of his deputies were carried out to the letter, so that not the least accident occurred. It seems to us that the reading of the death warrant to a prisoner after he has arrived on the scaffold is a relic of barbarism which ought to be dispensed with now-a-days. In this case the reading of the warrant and the reprieve consumed about twenty minutes, it being necessary to translate the documents into Spanish, and only prolonged the misery of the unhappy man for that length of time. The horrible details of Nunez's crime were well known to the public and hence but little sympathy was expressed for him at the execution except by his immediate relatives. The careless crowd pressed against the ropes and stood up in carriages and wagons as at a horse race and but few of those present seemed to feel the solemnity of the occasion. In accordance with the wish of the deceased Deputy Sheriff Studzinski was the last person with whom he conversed, that officer taking Nunez's pinioned hand just before the drop fell – and bidding him good-bye.

Rasdall, Daisy L.
Daisy L. Rasdall - Pueblo Chieftain - December 28, 1972 - Mrs. Daisy L. Rasdall of 2513 Atlanta, (died) Dec. 27, 1972. Wife of Henry Rasdall Sr. Mother of Mrs. Ethel McAdams, Pueblo; Mrs. Letha Becker, Colorado Springs, and Henry Rasdall Jr., Kansas City, Kan. Daughter of Mrs. Delma Wolfley, Trinidad. Sister of LeRoy and Francis W. Warfield, Gulfport, Miss. Survived also by 10 grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren. Member of St. Pius X Parish. Mr. and Mrs. Rasdall celebrated their 54th wedding anniversary on Oct. 9. Services 2 p.m. Friday, Almont Drawing Room. Interment, Mt. View.

Rash, Arminta
Arminta Rash - Pueblo Chieftain - September 15, 1986 - Arminta Rash, late of Rye, passed away Sept. 14, 1986. Survived by her husband, Elbert, of the family home; two daughters, Carminta (Russell) Beal, Santa Rosa, Calif.; Jean (Don) Pyle of Denver; four grandchildren and three great-great-grandchildren. Member of OES No. 7, Social Order of Beauceant, AARP, Rye Women's Club, and the Rye Home Methodist Church, where she was a past president of the Methodist Women. Past member of Rebekah Lodge. Cremation, no visitation. Memorial service, 10 a.m. Friday, Sept. 19, Rye Home Methodist Church. Service honours by OES No. 7.

Rasmussen, Darlene F.
Darlene F. Rasmussen - Pueblo Chieftain - November 17, 2004 - Darlene F. Rasmussen, 72, passed away on Nov. 15, 2004. She was born in Grand Forks, N.D. on March 31, 1932. She is survived by her husband of 55 years, Fred G. Rasmussen Sr.; sister, Dell Duberstein; children, June (Bill) Prince, Jay L. Rasmussen, Joni (Mike Wilson) Stinson, Fred G. (Diahn) Rasmussen Jr.; grandchildren, Adam, Tiffany, Emilee, Mitch, Nic, Abby and Danielle. She was a very special mother, grandmother, sister, friend and "calendar keeper." Memorial service, 2 p.m. Thursday, Imperial Funeral Home Chapel. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to a charity of choice.

Rasmussen, Darryn Hinano
Darryn Hinano Rasmussen - Pueblo Chieftain - April 27, 2005 - Darryn Hinano Rasmussen, 40, of Pueblo, went home to be with the living God on April 25, 2005. He was preceded in death by his grandparents, Henry Rasmussen, Alice Feliciano and Vicente (Donata) Tolentino. Survived by his parents, Douglas and Josephine Rasmussen; siblings, Delano Hanalei (Regine) Rasmussen, George “Bucky” Weaver, Douglas Kaleioaloha Rasmussen Jr., Darlene Haunani Hammond and Jarrett Rahe Keala (Dena) Rasmussen; several nieces, nephews and friends. Darryn was a Dallas Cowboys fan and loved fishing, karaoke and four-time NASCAR Champion, Jeff Gordon. Viewing, 2 to 5 p.m. today, and funeral service, 11 a.m. Thursday; both at Romero Chapel. Interment at Roselawn Cemetery. Relatives and friends will be received at Romero Courtesy Hall following interment.

Rasmussen, Fred G. Sr.
Fred G. Rasmussen Sr. - Pueblo Chieftain - April 03, 2006 - Fred G. Rasmussen Sr., was born May 29, 1928, and passed away March 31, 2006. He was preceded in death by his wife of 55 years, Darlene F. Rasmussen. Survived by his brother Melvin (Janina) Rasmussen, Fargo, N.D.; children, June L. (Bill) Prince, Denver, Jay Rasmussen, Pueblo West, Joni (John Wilson) Stinson, Pueblo and Fred G. (Diahn) Rasmussen Jr., Pueblo West. He is also survived by his grandchildren, Adam S. Burnham, Tiffany L. Burnham, Emilee A. Jones, Mitchel (Kara) F. Rasmussen, Nicholas L. Rasmussen, Abby M. Wilson and Danielle M. Rasmussen and by his beloved sister-in-law, Dell Duberstein of Minneapolis, Minn. and numerous nieces and nephews. Fred was a World War II veteran of the U.S. Navy and was a lifetime auto dealership owner. A graveside service will be held 2 p.m. Wednesday at Imperial Memorial Gardens. Donations in Fred's memory may be made to the charity of your choice.

Rasmussen, Maryanne
Maryanne Rasmussen - Pueblo Chieftain - November 22, 2002 - Maryanne Rasmussen, a.k.a. Cookie, Mom, Grammy, Aunt Cookie, Toots, La Americane and Damn Toopey, died November 17 in Pueblo. She was a native of New Jersey but lived her adult life in Colorado. She was a lifelong seeker of a good time and had a great sense of humor. In high school, she and a girl friend defied school rules and dressed up as a couple to go to the Sadie Hawkins dance. In the neighborhood she was known as a Halloween trickster, her most famous coupe tee-peeing Myron Thompson's pickup while her children stalled for treats at his door. She was a great charades player, her favorite game at family gatherings. And she loved the ocean where she swam, sailed, did her Esther Williams imitations, gathered shells and kissed the boys. Never one to hold back on her opinion, she naturally drew people to her, although some didn't quite know what to make of her. But she came to appreciate a friend's honesty long ago when he said, "You're different." She loved traveling, but always liked getting back home. Mexico was her favorite destination, having visited thirteen times, but also enjoyed road trips and hiking through the U.S. and Canada. In recent years her travels took her through Europe. She was a talented gardener, her roses being her favorite flower. This last year her normally four foot high tea roses grew to eight feet with blooms the size of a large salad plate. She said she only= y fertilized once, but in truth her garden was a virtual rain forest this pas= t dry summer. Her children suspected she may have been sneaking the plants a little extra now and then. She took up painting several years ago and won prizes at the art shows she participated in. She had done many oils but had recently been working in watercolors which she excelled at. She was an avid card player and was a member of several bridge clubs through the years and was a "Gold Pointer." She also taught her grandchildren variations of poker and strategies to "Shoot the Moon" in hearts, one of her favorite games. In her professional life she worked at the University of Colorado in the chemistry department as the graduate secretary. While adeptly fulfilling he= r responsibilities, she was also known as quite a matchmaker for people in the= e department. Never sedentary, (a neighbor recently lamented "She doesn't even leave enough time to get from one activity to the next!") she found dying "rather boring" but was grateful she was able to remain in her home, = a wonderfully warm, happy and inviting place for friends and family. She has donated her body to the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center. According to her wishes, her ashes will be rested at the Jersey Shore. Of those she held closest to her heart were her children; Sam Rasmussen, Cindy (Tom) Dykes, Jill Rasmussen, Betsy (Matt) Goodwin and Carrie (Don) Seewald, eleven grandchildren, many loving nieces and nephews, Howard Rasmussen, and special friend, Michel Vallee. She was predeceased by her granddaughter Katie. The family wishes to thank all who made themselves available to her and her family in these past few months. Your kind and loving words and gifts were so supportive and appreciated. There will be a celebration of he= r life Saturday, Dec. 14, 2002 at 1:00 p.m., at her home in Pueblo. Please bring your favorite story to share with her family and friends. In lieu of contributions, please sing a song, plant a flower, take a dip in the ocean or play a game with a smile on your face as you remember your special friend.

Rasmussen, Wava Luella
Wava Luella (Hodges) Rasmussen - Pueblo Chieftain - August 20, 1998 - Wava Luella (Hodges) Rasmussen, 88, longtime Boone resident, died on Tuesday, Aug. 18, 1998, at Life Care Center in Pueblo. Preceded in death by her husband, Floyd Allen Rasmussen, Jan. 6, 1986. Survived by one daughter, Helen (Thomas H.) McCorkle of Montrose- two grandchildren and two great-grandchildren- one sister, Jessie Parker- and two brothers, Roy Hodges and Earl (Charlene) Hodges, all of Pueblo. At her request there will be cremation and no funeral services. Memorials to Boone Fire Department.

Rasner, Elmer
Elmer Rasner - Pueblo Chieftain - November 10, 1998 - Elmer Rasner, 74, of Pueblo West, formerly of Yoder, Colo., died Nov. 8, 1998, at Parkview hospital. Survived by wife, Freda- daughter, Pamela Rasner, Colorado Springs- brother, Arthur (Juanita) Rasner, Yoder- sisters, Pearlie Mae (Harry) Geist, Yoder, and Shirley (Herb) Eichman, Rush, Colo. - and several nieces, nephews and a host of friends. Visitation, 9-7 p.m. Wednesday, Griffy Family Funeral Home, Fowler. Service, 2 p.m. Thursday, Trinity Lutheran Church, Fowler. Interment, Fowler Cemetery. Memorials to Edison Volunteer Fire Department, Yoder.

Rasor, Harley Jesse
Harley Jesse Rasor - Pueblo Chieftain - June 27, 1999 - Harley Jesse Rasor, a former resident of Pueblo, died on June 3 at the age of85 in Hot Springs, Ark. Mr. Rasor was a graduate of Centennial High School and Pueblo Community College. He was retired from the Linde Division of the Union Carbide Corporation. Survivors include his wife, Imogene Ely Rasor of Hot Springs- his brother, Dr. Robert W. Rasor of Colorado Springs- and several nieces and nephews. Arrangements were by Gross Funeral Home. A memorial service was held on June 7, 1999 , in Hot Springs, Ark.

Rasor, John Bryson
John (Jack) Bryson Rasor - Pueblo Chieftain - September 23, 1998 - John (Jack) Bryson Rasor, a Pueblo resident from 1911-1930, passed away in Birmingham, Ala., on Aug. 28, 1998, at the age of 89 after a lengthy illness. Jack attended Centennial High School and served as a Major in the U.S. Air Force during World War II. Jack was employed by Union Carbide Corporation for 43 years in the United States and Mexico. A will be held in Birmingham on Sept. 30.

Raspet, Andrew Louis
Andrew Louis Raspet - Pueblo Chieftain - October 8, 1987 - Andrew Louis Raspet was born in Pueblo on July 13, 1951, and passed away at his home in Fairplay on Oct. 6, 1 987. He had resided in Fairplay for the past 10 years. Son of Betty J. Raspet. Brother of Patricia (James) Whittemore of Farmington, N.M., Debra (Michael) McClure and Kathleen Whittemore of Pueblo. Nephew of Harry Raspet, Frances Raspet, Heddie Prelesnik and Rose Russell of Pueblo and Catherine Richardson of Denver. Also survived by numerous nieces, nephews and cousins. Predeceased by his father, Louis Raspet, Oct. 9, 1978. Service at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 8, T.G. McCarthy Funeral Home Chapel. Mass of Christian Burial at 9 a.m. Friday, Oct. 9, St. Anthony Church. Interment, Roselawn Cemetery. The family will greet friends at 1278 South Edwards Lane on Thursday and Friday.

Raspet, Harry F.
Harry F. Raspet - Pueblo Chieftain - October 01, 2001 - Harry F. Raspet, 81, passed away Sept. 30, 2001. Preceded in death by his sister, Frances Raspet; and his brother, Louis Raspet. Survived by his sister, Heddie Prelesnik; nieces, Sandy (Billy) Martin, Debbie McClure; and other relatives. Mr. Raspet was a graduate of Central High School and served in the U.S. Army Air Corps in WWII, receiving the American Service Medal, Asiatic Pacific Service Medal, Philippine Liberation Ribbon, WWII Victory Medal and the Good Conduct Medal. He was a member of St. Mary Catholic Church, where the funeral Mass will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2001, with interment to follow at Roselawn Cemetery. Viewing at the funeral home, 2 to 5 p.m. today. Those who wish may make contributions to the charity of their choice in memory of Mr. Raspet.

Rast, Robert David
Robert (Robby) David Rast - Pueblo Chieftain - June 20, 2005 - Robert (Robby) David Rast, 30 passed away unexpectedly in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. He is now in the hands of our merciful Lord. He was born June 1, 1975 in Mishawaka, Ind. to Jodi Rae Rast and Robert David Rast Jr. He is survived by his maternal grandmother, Doris Miller of Pueblo West, Colo., and his father, Robert David Rast of Mishawaka, Ind. Also special uncle Paul whom he was raised with, several aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews and cousins, and his close boyhood friend Aaron McDaniels. He is preceded in death by his mother Jodi, his grandparents Robert David Rast Sr., and June Rast, of Mishawaka, Ind. Robby was raised by his maternal grandmother in Pueblo West, and attended Pueblo West elementary school and Centennial High School. He was a boy scout in troop 24, Pueblo West, and attended Temple Baptist Church while living in Pueblo. He loved fishing, camping, and swimming in Lake Pueblo. Rob was a field surveyor for 13 years and loved his work. Cremation has taken place. Memorial services June 24, 7:30pm at 954 S. Sibley Dr., Pueblo West, Pastor Gary Mckinley.

Ratcliff, E. Ola
E. Ola Bigelow (Plymell) Ratcliff - Pueblo Chieftain - January 11, 2006 - E. Ola Bigelow (Plymell) Ratcliff, 93, passed away Jan. 8, 2006. She was preceded in death by her two husbands, Laverne Plymell and Wilbur L. Ratcliff; her parents, Ray T. and Edith Sease Bigelow; her brother, Howard Milton Bigelow; her sister, Allie Rena Bigelow; and her stepdaughter, Dorothy Benton. Survived by her stepchildren, Ann (Wes) Harper and Helen (Bob) Boyce, both of College Station, Texas, James (Libby) Ratcliff of Prestonburg, Ky., Braxton Ratcliff and Betty (Leroy) Neal, both of Pueblo. She also is survived by her cousins, Leona Zimmerman and Bob Sease, both of Pueblo, and Richard Bigelow of Rye, Colo. Ola was a member of Redeemer Baptist Church of Avondale, Colo., Chapter 7 Order of the Eastern Star, Social Order of the Beauceant No. 11, Southeastern Colorado Genealogical Society, Pueblo County Historical Society and the Beulah Historical Society. She attended Colorado State Teachers College in Greeley and later taught school and worked for the Public Service Gas Co. Ola was very active in churches, teaching and playing the piano. Funeral service, 10 a.m. Friday, Jan. 13, 2006, Adrian Comer Garden Chapel. Interment will follow at 12:30 p.m. Friday, at Beulah Cemetery. In lieu of food and flowers, donations may be made to the Redeemer Baptist Church of Avondale.

Ratcliff, Joyce
Joyce McGee Ratcliff - Pueblo Chieftain - February 25, 2003 - Joyce McGee Ratcliff, 68, a resident of Pueblo since 1997, passed away at her home on Saturday, Feb. 22, 2003. Joyce was born Reba Joyce McGee on May 11, 1934, in Wayne County, Tenn., attended Austin Peay State College in Clarksville, Tenn., taught in a one-room schoolhouse for one year and subsequently taught elementary school in Clarksville and in Aberdeen, Md. Married in 1956 to Leary Braxton Ratcliff, she is survived by her husband; three sons, Lyn (Betsy) of Morgantown, W.Va., Stephen (Sallie) of Waltham, Vt., and Alan (Christine) of Dayton, Ohio; a daughter, Tami (Alex) Covert of Clarksville, Tenn.; grandsons, John, Colin and Nathan Ratcliff of Janesville, Calif.; granddaughter, Randy Lee Ratcliff of Morgantown, W.Va.; a brother, Amos (Lavoyce) McGee of Tullahoma, Tenn.; and numerous nieces and nephews. Joyce and her husband moved to Pueblo from Ballston Lake in upstate New York, where they had lived for over 30 years. Joyce was a devoted wife and mother who encouraged her children to be industrious, and who set high standards in education, Christian morals and citizenship. She provided a warm, loving home environment for her children, nursed them in sickness, encouraged them in school and community activities, challenged them in educational pursuit, helped them over personal crises and provided moral support and taught them to respect others. Yet, when asked by a hospital counselor (following surgery) what she thought was the most important thing she did for her children, she said, “I loved them.” She applied this quality to others as well. As an individual, she attended the needy with food, clothes, finances, travel assistance, chores, encouragement, cheer and love. She supported her church\'s programs contributing to spiritual and physical needs of others in the community. Joyce was a gifted musician and spent her free time in Bible study, quilting, baking, playing piano and hiking. Funeral arrangements are by Adrian Comer Funeral Home. Interment will be in the family plot in Ballston Spa, N.Y. The family respectfully requests no food or flowers, but donations in Joyce\'s name may be made to Sangre de Cristo Hospice in Pueblo.

Ratcliff, Wilbur Leary
Wilbur Leary Ratcliff – Pueblo Chieftain – June 1, 1991 - Wilbur Leary Ratcliff, 89, Pueblo resident, passed away May 31, 1991. Mr. Ratcliff was the owner/operator of the W. L. Ratcliff Electrical Contractors in Shreveport, LA. He was also an electrician at the Mercury Test Site in Las Vegas, Nevada. He is survived by his wife, Ola of the family home; his children, Sara Ann (Weston) Harper, Helen Ruth (Robert) Boyce, all of College Station, Texas, Leary Braxton (Joyce) Ratcliff, Ballston Lake, NY, James Wilbur (Libbie) Ratcliff, Prestonsburg, KY, Dorothy Beatrice (Robert) Benton, Baton Rouge, LA, and Mary Elizabeth (Leroy) Neal, Pueblo; one sister, Sara Wade Ratcliff, Stanton, CA; one brother, Albert Isiah Ratcliff, Lake Charles, LA; 16 grandchildren, 8 great-grandchildren; and numerous nieces, nephews, and cousins also survive. He is preceded in death by his first wife, Eva Jackson Ratcliff; his second wife Thelma Jackson Ratcliff; one brother and one sister. His memberships include First Southern Baptist church, Institution of Electrical Engineers, International Brotherhood of Electrical Worker Union No. 357 of which he had been a member for 69 years, Southeastern Colorado Genealogical Society, Pueblo County Historical Society and the Beulah Historical Society. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Monday at the Adrian Comer Garden Chapel, with the Rev. Walter Partain officiating. Interment will be in Forest Park Cemetery, Shreveport, LA. Memorial contributions may be made to the charity of your choice.

Ratcliffe, Janie
Janie Ratcliffe - Pueblo Chieftain - October 29, 1986 - Janie Ratcliffe of Pueblo passed away Oct. 27, 1986, at St. Mary-Corwin Hospital. Mrs. Ratcliffe is survived by her husband, Mack C. Ratcliffe of Pueblo; their two children, Mack Ratcliffe of Golden and Wilma Jean Rudder of Pueblo. Mrs. Ratcliffe was born on July 3J, 1911, in Huntington, W.Va. Memorial service to be held at 10 a.m. Saturday at Imperial Chapel. Inurnment, Last Supper, Imperial Memorial Gardens.

Rathburn, Ralph Nelson
Ralph Nelson Rathburn - Pueblo Chieftain - December 08, 2001 - Ralph N. Rathburn, 89, of Pueblo, Colo., died following a stroke on Dec. 4, 2001, at Parkview hospital, Pueblo. Mr. Rathburn was born Jan. 1, 1912, in Barnardsville, N.C. He and his family moved to Aurora, Colo., when he was 7. He was a graduate of Aurora High School and was in the grocery business for several years before going to work at Lowry Air Force Base. He worked in maintenance and construction there for more than three decades, retiring in September 1974. After retiring, he moved to Pueblo with his wife, Ruth Snapp, who preceded him in death. Mr. Rathburn was a 32nd Degree Mason, serving as Master of Aurora Lodge No. 156 AF&AM in 1955. He was Worthy Patron of Dawn Chapter, OES No. 125 in Aurora and a member of Al Kaly Shrine. On March 14, 1997, he received a 50-year award from Aurora Lodge No. 156. When asked for the secret of a successful retirement, he said, "You should have at least four hobbies." In addition to his Masonic activities, he was an avid fisherman, a golfer, a bowler, a traveler and a gardener. Each year he bragged on the size and quantity of his tomatoes. He had a good sense of humor and enjoyed a good joke as well as he enjoyed telling one. He and Ruth traveled all over the world, usually on freighters. They visited most of the United States, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and many European countries until poor health forced them to stay closer to home. For several years they vacationed in Nags Head, N. C., with his grandchildren. His family included three brothers, Joseph, Edward, and Kenneth, all of whom preceded him in death; as did his son, Donald Rathburn. His survivors include his sister, Ruth Smith and her husband Carl, of Denver; son, Ken Snapp and his wife Lois, of Canon City, Colo.; grandson, David Rathburn, his wife Jayne and their two sons, Mark and Tyler, of Kesswick, Va.; grandsons, Ralph Rathburn of Nagoya, Japan, and Charlie Watanabe of Nagoya, Japan; granddaughter, Karen Rathburn, her husband Peter Schepis and their daughters Jillian and Haley, of Upper St. Clair, Pa.; granddaughter, Sandra Snapp of Washington, D.C., and grandson, Ray Snapp and Michelle Viehweger of Rock Springs, Wyo., and his children, Sheri Raddatz, Jason Nordstorm, Kegan Viehweger and James Snapp. He also is survived by his sister-in-law, Doris Hilmes of Pueblo; and daughter-in-law, Flora Rathburn of Shaker Heights, Ohio; numerous nieces and nephews; and one great-great-grandson, Max Raddatz. Mr. Rathburn will lie in state at the funeral home Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. Funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 9, 2001, at Montgomery and Steward Chapel, 1317 Main St., Pueblo, Colo. Masonic rites by Silver State Lodge No. 95 and interment will follow at Mountain View Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to National Parkinson Foundation, c/o the funeral home.

Rathburn, Ruth
Ruth Dalton Snapp Rathburn - Pueblo Chieftain - November 13, 1999 - Ruth Dalton Snapp Rathburn went to be with her Lord on Nov. 11, 1999. She was born June 5, 1917, in Sherman, Grayson County, Texas and moved to Colorado with her family in 1930. Ruth was preceded in death by her first husband of 28 years, Melvin W. Snapp; her parents, Onie and Mattie Dalton; and six brothers. She is survived by her loving husband, Ralph N. Rathburn; devoted sister, Doris Hilmes; loving son and daughter-in-law, Kenneth M. and Lois Snapp of Canon City; five grandchildren, Raymond Snapp of Rock Springs, Wyo., Sandra Snapp of Washington D.C., David (Jayne) Rathburn of Charlottesville, Va., Ralph Rathburn of Nagoya, Japan, and Karen Rathburn (Pete Schepis) of Pittsburgh, Pa.; eight great-grandchildren; daughter-in-law, Flora Rathburn of Shaker Heights, Ohio; sisters-in-law, Betty Dalton of Pueblo, Ruth (Carl) Smith and Lorraine Rathburn of Denver, Mabel Rathburn of Aurora and Lorraine Snapp and brother-in-law, O.W. "Tink" Snapp of Pueblo; special friends, Mildred Zirkle, Topeka, Kan., and Dorcas Rhodes, Colorado Springs; special niece, Janice Kansorka, Pueblo; and numerous nieces and nephews. She attended Keating Junior High and graduated from Central High School in 1934. After graduation she worked at many jobs, including the old Mountain Bell, the old Nuckolls Packing Co. and C.C. Anderson Retail Stores. During World War II she went to work for American Stores, resigning in 1954. She worked at CF&I until resigning to become Worthy Grand Matron, Grand Chapter of Colorado, O.E.S. Ruth was a member of Fidelity Chapter No. 144, O.E.S., Past Royal Matron of Amaranth, Daughters of the Nile, White Shrine, and Faith United Methodist Church. After the death of her first husband in 1967, she returned to the work force, choosing credit union work, attending credit union management school at UCLA, Los Angeles, for three summers. She was a manager of Educators Credit Union for District 70. She married Ralph Rathburn in September, 1970 and moved to Aurora where he was employed. Ruth worked for several credit unions in the Denver area, retiring from Butcher Workmen's Local 641 as manager in 1980. Ruth and Ralph were world travelers, going to Australia, Great Britain, Europe, South America, Morocco, Japan, all 50 states, Canada and Mexico. Ruth loved people and loved to work with them. Her dedicated work as a member of the Order of Eastern Star exemplified this. She will lie in state at the funeral home today from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m. and Sunday from 1 until 5 p.m. Her funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Monday, Nov. 15, 1999, at Faith United Methodist Church, 121 W. Adams, with Rev. Susan Plymell officiating. Followed by Eastern Star service by Fidelity Chapter No. 144. Interment will follow at Mountain View Cemetery. Memorials may be made to the Parkinson's Disease Foundation, the Diabetes Foundation, the Eastern Star Home Endowment Fund or Faith United Methodist Church through the funeral home.

Ratkovich, Berenice E.
Berenice E. Ratkovich - Denver Post - September 22, 1998 - Berenice E. Ratkovich of Arvada, a homemaker, died Sept. 8 in Wheat Ridge. She was 90. Services were Sept. 12 at Olinger Wadsworth Chapel. Interment was in Fairmount Cemetery. She was born June 2, 1908, in Atwood, Kan. She graduated from Steamboat Springs High School in 1926 and earned a teaching degree from the University of Northern Colorado. She taught for two years in Walsenburg. On June 24, 1931, she married Dan R. Ratkovich in Denver. He preceded her in death. She was a member of Berkeley Community United Church of Christ and the Hayden Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star. Her interests included traveling, baseball, football, sewing and reading. She is survived by two sons, Donald William, Parkersburg, W.Va., and D. Ronald, Arvada; and four grandsons. Contributions may be made to Berkeley Community Church, 3701 W. 50th Ave., Denver 80212; or Friends of Colorado Talking Books Library, 180 Sheridan Blvd., Lakewood 80226.

Ratkovich, Florence G.
Florence G. Ratkovich - Pueblo Chieftain - December 09, 1986 - Florence G. Ratkovich, a Pueblo resident for 38 years, late of 1621 Wabash Ave., passed away Dec. 7, 1986. Mrs. Ratkovich was a member of the Pueblo Christian Center. She is survived by two daughters, Joy (Wayne) Wollins of Pueblo; and Betty (A. P.) Irwin of Bellvue; one brother, Carl (Ruth) West; nine grandchildren and seven; great-grandchildren. The funeral service will be held at 10 a.m. Wednesday in the Adrian Comer Garden Chapel with Pastor James L. Maley of the Pueblo Christian Center officiating. Interment will be in the Evergreen Cemetery, Colorado Springs. The family may be contacted at 1621 Wabash Ave.

Rau, Linda B.
Linda B. Rau - Pueblo Chieftain - February 22, 2005 - Linda B. Rau, 46, of Pueblo West, passed away Feb. 19, 2005, in Pueblo, Colo. Born May 30, 1958, in Stuttgart, Germany, to David and Ruth Rau, who survive her; along with longtime companion and friend, James L. Mize; and brother, Michael Rau. Per her request, cremation has taken place with a memorial service pending.

Raue, Mary B.
Mary B. Raue – Pueblo Chieftain – September 15, 2006 - Mary B. Raue, passed away Saturday morning, Sept. 10, 2006. She was 93 years old. Mary Meglen was born in Pueblo, Colo., on April 22, 1913. She moved to Oceanside, Calif., in 1945 with her husband Jack Raue after he served in World War II. After her husband died, Mary moved to Bonita, Calif., in 1997 to be closer to family. She died peacefully in her residence in Bonita. Mary worked as a cafeteria cook and manager for the Oceanside Unified School District for more than twenty years. Mary is survived by her son John and his wife Roslyn; grandsons, Nick and Patrick. Graveside services will be held at Eternal Hills in Oceanside and are scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 16, 2006 at 12:30 p.m. In lieu of flowers, send donations in Mary's name to San Diego Hospice, 4311 Third Avenue, San Diego, Calif., 92103-1407.

Ravenscroft, Josephine
Josephine Ravenscroft - Pueblo Chieftain - December 22, 2001 - Josephine Ravenscroft, 89, went to be with the Lord on Dec. 19, 2001, in Pueblo, Colo. Born March 4, 1912, in Ellenwood, Kan., to Perry and Augusta McCullough, who preceded her along with 11 brothers and sisters and one grandchild, Kimberly. Survived by her children, Max L. Ravenscroft, Bruce (Frankie) Ravenscroft and Marian (Stephen) Guagliardo; 10 grandchildren; 17 great-grandchildren. Visitation, noon to 5 p.m. Sunday. Funeral service, 2 p.m. Monday, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on Surfwood. Burial will take place in Kingman, Kan. Memorial contributions to American Diabetes or the American Heart Association through the funeral home office in her memory.

Rawe, Frank W.
Frank W. Rawe - Pueblo Chieftain - August 25, 1987 - Frank W. Rawe, Aug. 18, 1987. Father of June Beldstein. Brother of Emma Moredock and Margarite Dodge, both of Colorado Springs. Uncle of Donald Moredock and nieces. Mr. Rawe was a member of Sacred Heart Cathedral and was a veteran of World War II and the U.S. Army. Service, 10 a.m. Wednesday, George McCarthy Historic Chapel. Interment, Imperial.

Rawlings, Anne B.
Anne B. Rawlings - Pueblo Chieftain - November 23, 2003 - Mrs. Anne B. Rawlings, 81, of North Egremont, Mass. died Nov. 15, 2003. Born July 14, 1922, in Fort Dix, New Jersey. She was the daughter of Brig. General John C.P. Bartholf and Madeline Tomlinson Bartholf. The family traveled with the Army and Anne attended various schools, graduating from high school in New York and attending Beaver College and Drexel College. Anne entered the United States Army on Aug. 9, 1943, where she served with the Women's Air Force Service Pilots (WASP). As a WASP, one of the planes Anne flew was a B-26 bomber, towing targets for aerial gunnery practice until being honorably discharged on Nov. 28, 1944. While in the service she met and married 2nd Lieutenant John W. Rawlings, Jr. at Kearney Army Air Field Base, Neb., on Oct. 19, 1944. After the war Lieutenant Rawlings continued his military career enabling Anne to stay at home and rear their two children along with various pets. After Col. Rawlings retirement in 1972, the family continued to live in New Mexico until 1985 when they moved to North Engremont. While the family was living in New Mexico, Anne and her daughter enjoyed showing Morgan Horses. Throughout her life Anne enjoyed embroidery, sewing; she was an avid reader. Recently she also took an interest in picture puzzles. Mrs. Rawlings was a member of the Daedalioans, an association for pilots, the WASP Organization. She also was a member of St. James Episcopal Church in Great Barrington. She is survived by her husband of 59 years, Col. (Ret.) John “Jack” W. Rawlings, Jr., who was reared in Las Animas, Colo., their two children Madeline “Lynne” A. Sjoquist and her husband Frederick, of Tucson, Ariz., and Lt. Col. (Ret.) Stephen H. Rawlings and his wife Beckie Gail of Cabot, Ark., along with five grandchildren Michael L. Adams, Joseph Matthew Adams, Stephanie A. Sjoquist, 2nd Lieutenant Lance W.H. Rawlings and Wesley H. Rawlings. She also leaves her sister Edith B. “Micky” Clark and husband Capt. (Ret.) R.C. Clark of North Edgremont and her brother Brig. General (Ret.) John C. Bartholf and wife Patricia of Lusby, Md. and brother-in-law Robert H. Rawlings, Pueblo, Colo. Funeral services Nov. 25, at The United States Military Academy at West Point, N.Y.

Ray, Carol
Carol Ray - The Greenhorn Valley View - March 5, 2008 - Carol Ray passed away at her home near Rye on February 26, 2008. She was born Carol Gilbert on August 17, 1921 in Two Buttes, Colorado. Her family moved to the Rye area during the Great Depression. Carol and her husband Paul were married for 65 years. Carol is survived by Paul and two daughters, Toni (Larry) Brizendine and Karen Ray, two granddaughters, Lara (Kurt) Gilbert and Tonna (Keith) Reece, and six great- grandchildren.

Ray, Eleanor E.
Eleanor E. Ray - Pueblo Chieftain - March 02, 2003 - Eleanor E. Ray, 94, went to be with the Lord on Tuesday, Feb. 25, 2003. She is preceded in death by her husband, Harvey, who passed away in November 1975; her sister, Thelma Childress; brothers, George and Alex Evans. Eleanor is survived by two children, Robert (Judi) Ray of Colorado Springs, and Carolyn (John) Long of Pueblo; grandchildren, Russell (Herminia) Long and David Long; great-grandchildren, Stephanie and Jacob Long; brother, Curtis (Enid) Evans; and numerous nieces and nephews. Eleanor loved going on trips to the mountains to see the fall leaves. Thank you to her nephew, Frank; and her friend, Jane, for their care and compassion during Eleanor's illness. A memorial service will be 10 a.m. Monday, March 3, 2003, at Adrian Comer Garden Chapel. Also, please visit Eleanor's memorial at

Ray, J. E.
J. E. Ray - Brandon Bell - November 21, 1913 - Dr. J. E. Ray of Sugar City, who had been practicing medicine in Southern Colorado for fifty years, died at a Pueblo hospital from heart disease.

Ray, Lyda
Lyda Wilkison Ray - Pueblo Chieftain - July 19, 1998 - Lyda Wilkison Ray, 88, of La Junta, died July 16, 1998, at Arkansas Valley Regional Medical Center in La Junta. Funeral service, 1 p.m. Monday, July 20, 1998, at Ustick Donelson Funeral Home. Inurnment, 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, July 22, 1998, Hillcrest Cemetery, Rocky Ford.

Ray, Serma U.
Serma U. Deaton Ray - Pueblo Chieftain - July 13, 2004 - Serma U. Deaton Ray, 87, passed away July 9, 2004. Predeceased by her husband, Charles Ray; two grandchildren; and father of her children, Neil H. Jones. Survived by her son, Professor Neil D. (Lene) Jones of Copenhagen, Denmark; daughter, Lynn (Louis) Moore of Pueblo; five grandchildren; and 11 great-grandchildren. Serma was born May 24, 1917, in Mills, N.M. She was a talented artist and taught classes in Denver at the Denver Recreation Center for 17 years. Upon moving to Pueblo, at the age of 80, she taught for two more years. Creating art was her passion and joy. There will be no viewing. Funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Thursday, July 15, 2004, in the Montgomery & Steward Chapel with Don Worthington officiating. Private graveside service. Friends and family will be received at 848 Autumn St. The family thanks Pueblo Extended Care, Preferred Hospice, Dr. Barris and Becky Kueter for the exceptional care they gave Serma.

Ray, Sue
Sue Ray - Huerfano World - May 2, 1991 - In Loving Memory of Sue Ray, who died April 29, 1990 - Verse - Sadly missed by her daughter Sherry Pacheco, Bill and Grandchildren.

Ray, William R.
William R. Ray - Pueblo Chieftain - July 25, 1997 - William R. Ray, 77, passed away July 21, 1997, at St. Thomas More Hospital in Canon City. Bill, as he was known to family and friends, was born Oct. 7, 1919, in Millington, Tenn., to the union of Sylvester and Jessie (Albright) Ray. His parents- brother, Cordie W. Ray- and a sister, Anniebelle Ray, precede him in death. He served in the U.S. Army Air Corps in 1942. He retired from the Pueblo Army Depot in 1975 with 29 years service. He was a member of Bethlehem Baptist Church, where he had served on the trustee board and sang in the church choir, American Legion Post 2 and Eureka Lodge No. 2 AF&AM (PHA). He enjoyed fishing and visiting the sick and shut-ins. He had a knack for getting along with everyone and would always say, ``I'm a people person." He leaves to cherish his memory his daughter, Ella M. Ray, Sacramento, Calif.- stepdaughter, Fredericka Johnson, Pueblo- adopted daughter, Karen Ray Smith, Los Angeles, Calif.- a brother, Vernon (Ann) Ray, Detroit, Mich.- two sisters, Margaret Fisher, Millington, Tenn., and Georgia Pickard, Detroit, Mich.- his church family and his lodge. Visitation, noon until 7 p.m. today, Angelus Chapel. Funeral service, 11 a.m. Saturday, Bethlehem Baptist Church, Rev. F.L. Chandler officiating. Full military honors to follow by the Pueblo Veterans Ritual Team at the church. Interment, Fort Logan National Cemetery.

Rayburn, Katherine L.
Katherine L. Rayburn - Colorado Springs Gazette - March 24, 1959 - Services and Interment for Mrs. Katherine L. Rayburn in Pueblo. (Law).

Raye, Arta B.
Arta B. Raye - Pueblo Chieftain - February 2, 1987 - Arta B. Raye was born in Bloomington, Ill., on Dec. 23, 1911, and died in Pueblo on Feb. 1, 1987. Wife of E. Wilson Raye and mother of Kay (Wesley) Smith and Terry (Charlie) Montera; mother-in-law of Sherry Raye; sister of Elma Keil, Jesse Truan, Laura Springfloat and Merle Lee. Also survived by eight grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren. For many years Mr. and Mrs. Raye were partners in the restaurant business in Pueblo. They had been married for 55 years. Preceded in death by a son, Ronnie Raye, in 1978. Services, 2 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 4 at T.G. McCarthy Funeral Home Chapel. Interment, Roselawn Cemetery. The body will lie in state from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday and from 8 a.m. until service time Wednesday.

Raye, Elizabeth J.
Elizabeth J. Raye - Pueblo Chieftain - November 11, 1998 - Elizabeth J. Raye, 82, passed away at home on Nov. 9, 1998. Survivors are children, Roberta (Bill) Cox, Trinidad, Judy (August) Gagliardi, Pueblo, Janet (Ronald "Snozz") Guarienti, Pueblo, Johnabelle (John) Micheliza, Trinidad, Elizabeth Stanley, Trinidad, John (Gina) Raye, Trinidad, Dagmar (Don) Simons, New York- sister, Angelina Galasso, California- sisters-in-law, Emma Mendine, Trinidad, Catherine Raye, Trinidad- grandchildren, Mike (Deliza) Klovas, Kelly (Terry) Sanchez, Jeff Cox, Walter Cox, John Michael (Pollyanna) Gagliardi, Joseph Gagliardi, Camea Gagliardi, Nicholas Gagliardi, Ron (Tammy) Guarienti, Cindy (Tony) Olguin, Lance (Dee) Guarienti, Darice (Ron) Arlint, Scott (Angie) Welch, Lisa Welch, Karen Welch, Ivory Jo Raye, Luke Raye, Cady Raye- 13 great-grandchildren- numerous nieces, nephews, other relatives and many dear friends. Visitation will be Thursday from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the Comi Funeral Home Chapel. Vigil Rites will be Thursday, Nov. 12, 1998, at 7 p.m. at Holy Trinity Church. Funeral Mass will be celebrated Friday, Nov. 13, 1998, at 10 a.m. at Holy Trinity Church. Interment with Rite of Committal will follow at the Trinidad Catholic Cemetery.

Rayl, Charlotte V.
Charlotte V. Rayl - Pueblo Chieftain - May 31, 1999 - Charlotte V. Rayl passed away May 29, 1999, in Colorado City. Among her survivors is her daughter, Shirley (Michael) Ettleman of Colorado City. Services and interment will be under the direction of the Colonial Funeral Chapel in Richland, Mo.

Raymond, Alphonse
Alphonse "Al" Raymond - Pueblo Chieftain - March 08, 2003 - Alphonse "Al" Raymond, 82, of Bellevue, Neb., formerly of Pueblo West, Colo., went to be with his Lord and Maker on March 4, 2003, in Papillion, Neb. Born Aug. 29, 1920, in Lawrence, Mass., to Emile Raymond and Emma Dube, who preceded him in death, along with his sister, Gertrude Cardone; and his loving wife, Elizabeth Stacey of 59 years. Survived by his children, Patricia (Ronald) Noftsier, Constance (Jerry) Collier, and William Raymond; grandchildren, Donald, Debbie, Rick, Billy, Kara, David, Lori, Kendra and Theresa; five great-grandchildren; brother and sisters, Robert (Jeannine) Raymond, Claudette (Tom) Hunt, Theresa (Jerry) Dini, Lorraine (Robert) Gambino and Dorothy Tacinelli. Al retired from the U.S. Army after 22 years in 1962, and then retired from the Civil Service in 1985 with a total of 45 years of federal service. Visitation, noon to 5 p.m. Sunday, at Imperial Funeral Home. Funeral service, 10 a.m. Monday, Imperial Funeral Home Chapel. Interment, Imperial Memorial Gardens. Memorial contributions may be made to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, through the funeral home office, in his memory.

Raymond, Elizabeth
Elizabeth "Betty" Raymond - Pueblo Chieftain - February 05, 2002- Elizabeth "Betty" Raymond, 81, of Pueblo West went to be with her Lord and Maker on Feb. 2, 2002, in Pueblo, Colo. Born March 15, 1920, in Brooklyn, N.Y., to William and Elizabeth Stacy who preceded her along with sister, Eileen Murphy. Survived by loving husband of 59 years, Alphonse H. Raymond; children, Patricia (Ronald) Noftsier, Constance (Jerry) Collier and William Raymond; grandchildren, Donald, Debbie, Rick, Billy, Kara, David, Lori, Kendra and Theresa; great-grandchildren, Paul, Jordan and Cassidy; and sisters, Agnes (Frank) Kelly and Mary (Walter) Rubenbauer. Elizabeth retired from civil service in 1984 with 30 years of service. Visitation. 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday at Imperial Funeral Home. Services, 10 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 7, Imperial Memorial Gardens Chapel. Interment at Imperial Gardens Cemetery. Memorial contributions may be made to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital through Imperial Funeral Home office.

Raymond, Evelyn
Evelyn Smith Raymond - Pueblo Chieftain - December 3, 1987 - Evelyn Smith Raymond, Denver, and formerly of Pueblo, died Dec. 1, 1987. Wife of the late Howard E. Raymond; mother of Cathy Von Somoff, Chris E. Raymond, Kelly J. Castillo, and Kerry J. Kracht; daughter of Hattie M. Smith; also six grandchildren. Services 10:30 a.m. Thursday Bullock Mortuary Chapel. Interment, Fort Logan National Cemetery.

Raymond, George A.
George A. Raymond - Pueblo Chieftain - November 18, 1999 - George A. Raymond passed away Nov. 16, 1999, in Pueblo. George was born in La Junta on Aug. 29, 1915, to George F. Raymond and Maybelle Eyer Raymond. He was employed by the Santa Fe Railroad in La Junta before retiring in 1975 and moving to Pueblo in 1979. Mr. Raymond was a member of Elks Lodge No. 90, IOOF in Pueblo, the Railroad Carmen, Railroading Sams and the Pleasant View Baptist Church. He is survived by his wife, Elmo Raymond of Pueblo; children, George G. (Gale) Raymond of La Junta, Robyn (Albert) Camhi of Texas and Linda (Robert) Atkinson of Pueblo; a sister, Helen Bickel of Arizona; ten grandchildren; 14 great-grandchildren; and many nieces and nephews. Cremation in the Davis Crematory. A memorial service will be held on Saturday, Nov. 20, 1999, at 10 a.m. in the Davis Memorial Chapel with Mr. Raymond's grandson, Randall Atkinson, officiating.

Raymond, Julia
Julia Slota Raymond - Denver Rocky Mountain News - April 09, 2000 - Julia Slota Raymond, 89, of Denver died March 28. Services were March 31, with burial at Crown Hill Cemetery. Mrs. Raymond was born in Walsenburg on Dec. 7, 1910. She married Roy O. Raymond. Survivors include daughters Shirley Anderson, Marilyn, Karen, all of Denver, Delores Anderson of Thornton, Judy DiCroce of Wheat Ridge; 10 grandchildren; 22 great-grandchildren.

Rayner, Harold
Harold "Sam" Rayner - Pueblo Chieftain - December 02, 1986 - Harold "Sam" Rayner, 627 Jackson, Dec. 1, 1986. Husband of Frances Rayner and uncle of Robert Rayner Griffin, Seattle, Wash.; John Griffin, Las Cruces, N.M.; Judith McKee, Wichita, Kan., and Mary Ann Goodwin, Lompoc, Calif. Survived also by numerous grandnieces and grandnephews and several brothers-in-law and sisters-in-law, including Florence and Paul Abel of Pueblo. Predeceased by a sister, Mary Griffin. Mr. Rayner was a veteran of service with the U.S. Navy during World War I; life member of the Al Kaly Shrine and member of Tejon Lodge No. 104, AF&AM (Colorado Springs) and the Colorado Consistory. He was the owner and manager of Pueblo Brake and Clutch for seven years, retiring in 1960. Prior to that, he was employed by the Alemite Corporation for 30 years. Cremation, Almont Crematory. Memorial service, 1 p.m. Thursday, George McCarthy Historic Chapel will be conducted by the Rev. Alex Howard, Chaplain, Parkview Episcopal Medical Center. Concluding rites courtesy of Pueblo Lodge No. 17 AF&AM. The family respectfully requests the omission of food and flowers. Memorials may be made to the Shriner's Crippled Children Fund in care of the funeral home office. The family will greet friends at the chapel immediately following the service.

Raynor, Charles V.
Charles V. "Spider" Raynor - Pueblo Chieftain - June 17, 1987 - Charles V. "Spider" Raynor, late of Pueblo, died June 16, 1987, at Fort Lyon VA Center. Survived by his wife, Betty Lou Raynor; daughters, Loretta (Henry) Taylor, Pueblo, Charlene Raynor, Wheat Ridge, Sharon (Alonzo) Marquez, Arvada; brothers, Coy (Alberta) Raynor and Billy (Wanda) Raynor, Colorado Springs, Ernie (Judy) Furgeson, Pueblo; six grandchildren and one great-grandchild. Member of Southern Baptist Church, DAV, VFW and Custer County Sheriff's Posse. Preceded in death by three sisters. Born April 19, 1925, in Shamrock, Texas. Veteran of WW II. Retired from CF&I after 27 years. Service, 10 a.m. Thursday, June 18, Davis-Wallin Memorial Chapel, the Rev. Harold Bostwick officiating. Interment, Fort Logan National Cemetery. No public viewing. Memorials may be made to the DAV. Family may be contacted locally at 549 Avocado or at 6796 Lee, Arvada, Colo. 80004, 431-5436.

Rayse, Gene W.
Gene W. Royse – Pueblo Chieftain - October 03, 1997 - Gene W. Royse, 72, of Pueblo, died on Oct. 2, 1997. He was born on April 11, 1925, in Garden City, Kan., to Helen and John Woodford Royse. Gene was preceded in death by his father, John Woody" Royse- a sister, Mary Helen Royse- and a brother, John Royse. Gene is survived by his loving wife of 48 years, Ruth Mary Royse- a son, Daryl Gene (Jean) Royse, Phoenix, Ariz.- daughters, Gail Helen Kingrey, Rye, Colo., Judy Ellen (John) Rector, Ignacio, Colo., and Terri Jean (Cliff) Barnes, Dallas, Texas- mother, Helen Royse, Dallas, Texas- and grandchildren, Jodi (Todd) Berisford, Pueblo, Shawn Kingrey, Fort Collins, and Kathryn Barnes, Dallas, Texas. Gene was the former owner of Royse Electric and was well known throughout Pueblo County. The will be held Monday, Oct. 6, at 4:30 p.m. at Faith United Methodist Church in Pueblo. Terry Eyman, chaplain of Sangre de Cristo Hospice, will officiate. Interment will be in the Colorado City Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Sangre de Cristo Hospice.

Razo, Mary
Mary Razo - Pueblo Chieftain - October 03, 2003 - Mary Razo, 86, of Boone, Colo., was called to her rest on Sept. 30, 2003. Born Sept. 17, 1917, to Isidoro and Elvira Sanchez in Minatare, Neb. Survived by her loving husband of 61 years, Cirilo Razo Sr. Mary was the beloved mother of 13 children, Annie (Jesse) Reyes, Josie Razo, Fred (Kathy) Razo, Pete (Cathy) Razo, Francisco (Sylvia) Razo, Cirilo (Kim) Razo Jr., all of California, Vikki (Ben) Trevino, Mary Ann (Melvin) Shockley, Vera (Martin) Linz, Sally (Elzir) Linz, all of Nebraska, Frank (Vera) Razo, Art (Patsy) Razo, Abel Razo, all of Colorado; 30 grandchildren, 13 great-grandchildren; sisters, Charlotte Ysac, Francis Rodriguez, Angela Quijas, Josephine Leon; and brother, Angel Sanchez. This giving woman of faith was loved and will be missed by all. Visitation, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday, Imperial Funeral Home. Rosary, 7 p.m. Thursday, and funeral Mass, 10 a.m. Friday; both services at Sacred Heart Church in Avondale. Interment, Imperial Memorial Gardens.

Please e-mail comments and suggestions to Karen Mitchell
© 1997 - 2015 Karen Mitchell