Pueblo County, Colorado
JOHN V. SHEPARD
Contributed by Karen Mitchell.
This gentleman was born at Palestine, Ill., in 1846. He served through the late war as a soldier of the Sixty-second Illinois Volunteers. In the fall of 1866, he went to Charleston, Ill., where he clerked in a store for about three years. Subsequently, he traveled a number of years for a Boston shoe house, until coming West in 1872. In the fall of that year, Mr. Shepard located at Pueblo, and began business, keeping a general store, in partnership with the Wilson Brothers, the style of the firm being Wilson Brothers & Shepard. Mr. Shepard continued a member of the firm until July, 1880, when, disposing of his interest, he opened a boot and shoe store on the opposite side of Santa Fe avenue. Mr. C. E. Dudley has since become a partner of Mr. Shepard, the firm now being Shepard & Dudley. They have a fine custom, and carry the largest and best assorted stock in Pueblo. Mr. Shepard was one of the first Directors of the Stock-Growers' National Bank, and is now a Director. He was married at Pueblo November 9, 1875, to Miss Margaret Newcomer.
History of the Arkansas Valley, Colorado
O L Baskin & Co., Chicago, 1881
to the Pueblo County Index Page.
Please e-mail comments and suggestions toKaren Mitchell.
|© Karen Mitchell |