Pueblo County, Colorado
JOHN D. HENRY
Contributed by Karen Mitchell.
This gentleman was born January 17, 1845, at Bowling Green, Ky., where he was reared and educated. He served in the Confederate army through the late war, being a soldier of the Second Kentucky Cavalry, under Morgan. After the close of the war, he went to St. Louis, where he engaged in business until the fall of 1871. In October of that year, following up the Star of Empire, he came to Colorado and located at Pueblo. In pursuance to an arrangement made previous to his coming West, Mr. Henry took the position of Deputy County Clerk, and also opened a real estate and abstract office in partnership with Mr. McBride. In 1872, the firm of McBride & Henry was succeeded by Henry, Morgan & Co., of which firm Mr. Henry was a member until 1875. He served as a City Clerk for Pueblo from April, 1872, to April, 1873. He held the office of City Assessor in 1872, and in 1876 and 1877. He was Deputy County Assessor in 1877. He was Engrossing Clerk of the last Territorial Council of Colorado in 1876, which position he filled with ability and with credit. Mr. Henry is now doing business for William H. Hyde, dealer and manufacturer at Pueblo, and he is the present Superintendent of the Water Works for the city of Pueblo.
History of the Arkansas Valley, Colorado
O L Baskin & Co., Chicago, 1881
to the Pueblo County Index Page.
Please e-mail comments and suggestions toKaren Mitchell.
|© Karen Mitchell |