Pueblo County, Colorado

Contributed by Karen Mitchell.

                                                                             About twenty years previous to the outbreak of the war of independence, George Stevenson, Edward Shippen and John Armstrong were appointed His Most Gracious Majesty George the Second's Judges of the Courts of Quarter Sessions, and general jail delivery for the counties of York, Lancaster and Cumberland, in the province of Pennsylvania. George Stevenson, an Irish barrister, and an LL.D. of Dublin University, was the great-grandfather of the subject of the present sketch, and the first of the family who settled in America. When the colonies threw off their allegiance to the British Crown, Judge Stevenson, then a resident of Carlisle, Penn., became an ardent patriot, was Chairman of the Committee of Safety in his section, and was marked by the British Government as on arch rebel. His son, George Stevenson, Jr., became an officer in the Revolutionary army, and served during the entire war. During the whisky insurrection in Western Pennsylvania, about the close of the last century, George Stevenson left his home in Carlisle, in that State, as Major of a regiment of State troops sent there to restore order. He foresaw the coming greatness of Pittsburgh, and settled there; was President of a branch of the Bank of the United States located at that point for many years, and was also Chief Burgess and first Mayor of the city. His son, Thomas Collins Stevenson, M. D., returned to Carlisle, at which town Raymond M. Stevenson was born, March 4, 1840. At the age of sixteen, he commenced his career as a journalist, his first work in the profession being a report of a political meeting in the campaign of 1856. He was educated at Dickinson College, in his native town, and after trying several other professions, returned to his first love, and settled down to journalism. After serving in the quartermaster's department of the army during the early years of the war, he was obliged to return home with a constitution badly shattered by typhoid fever. In 1863, he was appointed by President Lincoln Vice Consul at Sheffield, England, where he remained until 1866. Resigning his position, he returned to the United States and to journalism. In the summer of 1868, the attractions of Colorado became too strong to be resisted, and the subject of our sketch joined the army of emigrants bound for the Rocky Mountain region. After remaining in Denver for a few months, he removed to Pueblo, and was connected with the Colorado Chieftain for nearly twelve years (with the exception of a few brief interruptions), the last six years as managing editor. In 1879, he was appointed by Gov. Pitkin one of the Commissioners of the State Insane Asylum at Pueblo, which position he resigned in April, 1880, to accept that of Private Secretary to the Governor. The latter position he resigned in the fall of the same year to take a situation on the Denver Tribune, which he was obliged to resign on account of illness. Upon the meeting of the General Assembly of the State in January, 1881, he was unanimously elected Chief Clerk of the House of Representatives, and at the close of the session appointed Adjutant General of the State. Gen. Stevenson was married in Pueblo, in 1871, to Susan C., eldest daughter of Rev. Samuel Edwardes, then Rector of St. Peter's Church in that city.   History of the Arkansas Valley, Colorado O L Baskin & Co., Chicago, 1881 

Raymond M. Stevenson - Rocky Mountain News - April 21, 1895 - Lays Down His Pen - Death of Gen. R. M. Stevenson of the "Pueblo Chieftain" - The End Came Peacefully - At Chicago Yesterday General R. M. Stevenson, for Many Years Editor of the Pueblo Chieftain, Passed Quietly Away - His Wife and Friends at His Bedside When the End Came - Was Descended from Revolutionary Ancestors - Sketch of His Useful and Busy Life - The Remains Embalmed and Shipped West Over the Burlington Route - Chicago, April 20 - General R. M. Stevenson, vice president and business manager of the Pueblo Chieftain, died at the Victoria hotel at 10 o'clock this morning from a complication of troubles, chief of which was nervous debility and a severe cold. The end was not unexpected, for the general has been in a dying condition since he reached Chicago last Monday morning, on his way, with his wife, to his old home in Philadelphia.  He had been ill for nearly a month before starting on the trip.  Dr. Hammond of the Victoria hotel, who was called in, held a consultation of physicians and everything was done to relieve the sick man, but without avail.  From violent and exhaustive fits of coughing he gradually fell into a state of coma, from which he never rallied, and death came to him as peacefully as sleep to a child.   The remains were embalmed this afternoon and shipped to Pueblo on the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy road, the train leaving here at 10 o'clock this evening.  Mrs. Stevenson and several intimate friends accompanied the body.  Melville E. Stone, H. W. Hawley and other prominent citizens did all in their power to relieve the distress of the widow.  Sketch of His Life - Gen. Stevenson's Honorable Career as a Soldier, a Citizen and a Journalist - Pueblo, Colo., April 20 - General Stevenson had not been in vigorous health for a number of years and late in 1893 went to California for recuperation.  He was taken ill at Los Angeles and for eight weeks was in a hospital.  He recovered and even seemed better than he had been before the sick spell.  But the benefit derived from the change was not permanent.  Early in January of the present year the general was again forced to give up active work and, with Mrs. Stevenson, again went to California.  He improved greatly, but on returning to Pueblo three weeks ago he began rapidly to fall.  From Revolutionary Ancestors - He was born at Carlisle, Pa., March 4, 1840, of ancestry that had for several generations been identified with the history of the state.  When 16 years old he commenced his career in journalism, his first work being a report of a political gathering in the campaign of 1856.  He received his education at Dickenson college in his native town.  He engaged for a time in several professions, but finally set out to continue in the vocation that he had first chosen.  He served in the quartermaster's department during the early years of the war, but a severe attack of typhoid fever so shattered his health that he was forced to return home.  In 1863 President Lincoln appointed him vice consul at Sheffield, England, at which post he remained until 1866, when he resigned and returned to America to resume his profession.  In the summer of 1868 he fell in with the tide of immigration into Colorado.  He spent a few months in Denver and then came to Pueblo and connected himself with the Chieftain, just founded.  He continued his relations with the paper for almost twelve years, with but a few brief interruptions, the last six years being in the capacity of managing editor.  His Public Career - In 1879 Governor Pitkin appointed him one of the commissioners of the insane asylum, which position he gave up in April, 1880, to become private secretary to the governor.  In the fall of that year he resigned in order to take a situation on the Denver Tribune, which, however, he was forced by ill health to give up.  When the general assembly met in January, 1881, he was by an unanimous vote chosen chief clerk of the house of representatives.  At the close of the session he was appointed by Governor Cooper adjutant general for the state and served the full term.  Twice again he served as chief clerk of the house of representatives and was deputy secretary of state during Captain James Rice's period of office.  During these years, after leaving Pueblo, he was for a time in the insurance business, besides doing some newspaper work.  In the fall of 1889 General Stevenson purchased an interest in the Chieftain and returned to Pueblo for residence.  General Stevenson and Miss Susan C. Edwardes, daughter of Rev. Samuel Edwardes, at that time rector of St. Peter's church of this city, were married in 1871.  Two children, Guy Montague and Miss Ethel Duncan, and Mrs. Stevenson survive him.  The interment will take place here on Tuesday probably.  Note: R. M. Stevenson was buried in Pioneer Cemetery in Pueblo, Colorado.

to the Pueblo County Index Page.

Please e-mail comments and suggestions toKaren Mitchell.
© Karen Mitchell